1. Plans, administers, and provides overall supervision of property appraisal programs for assessment purposes; maintains appropriate level of qualified staff to ensure work is completed to achieve overall department goals.
2. Develops policies and procedures in determining true cash value of assessable real and personal property including locating, identifying and inventorying quantity and characteristics of the property for determining appropriate value and classification.
3. Responds to inquiries and requests for assessment information from the public.
4. Oversees maintenance of departmental files including property records/cards, physical data, legal descriptions, splits and combinations of parcels, and ownership transfers; strives to identify new/improved methods for carrying out responsibilities of the department.
5. Represents the Township in defending assessments appealed to the Michigan Tax Tribunal, and in participating at seminars and conferences at various county and State associations.
6. Conducts field inspections of commercial and industrial properties; gathers, analyzes data and performs assessment ratio studies to determine true market values; may input data in to computer system; updates personal property records and supervises sending of assessment notices annually to notify property owners regarding assessed values.
7. Ensures that periodic checks are performed with home and business owners regarding changes made to facilities; works with Township Zoning Administrator regarding new construction in order to update property records.
8. Supervises and participates in the preparation of the property assessment roll for presentation to the Board of Review; supervises adjustments of the tax roll directed by the Board of Review; participates in Board of Review sessions and compiles results and oversees preparation of letters and reports associated with this process.
9. Attends annual seminars and other continuing education conferences as required by the State to maintain required certification as a Level III Assessor.
10. Maintains current knowledge regarding assessing-related technology, market trends and pending legislation pertaining to taxation and other developments in the property assessment field.