1. Plans, develops and oversees administrative direction of the Fire Department to ensure safe and efficient operation in carrying out services as determined by the Board of Trustees; establishes standards for performance and safety; ensures that adequate number of qualified personnel are available, trained and properly supervised to fulfill overall responsibilities of the department.
2. Oversees and administers Fire Department activities and functions including recruiting on-call fire fighters to ensure the availability of appropriate fire fighters on the staff; ensures fire fighting force has been provided with appropriate equipment, training, supervision and support to serve Township at the highest possible level.
3. Prepares and administers Fire Department’s annual budget; monitors budget to ensure adherence to budgetary control; oversees personnel administration function within the department including reviewing time sheets/run sheets, and preparing stipend report.
4. Develops long range plans for maintaining effective operations of department; researches, evaluates and recommends acquisition of facilities, fire fighting equipment and supplies; reviews vendors invoices and other bills for purchases of supplies and equipment.
5. Oversees organization, development and scheduling of effective training programs for fire fighters.
6. Responds to fire and medical/rescue calls as necessary and assumes scene command when appropriate; may assist Township in responding to emergency situations.
7. Conducts and/or participates in various department and Township meetings; also represents Township on various Fire Chief/Fire Department committees at State and local level.
8. Represents Fire Department in meeting the public and public speaking engagements.
9. Attends special technical training sessions to maintain and/or enhance knowledge of fire fighting techniques, methodologies, and management skills.
10. Performs other duties and responsibilities as directed by the Township Manager and Board of Trustees.